God Brings New Life From Death

Sharing is caring!

By Melissa McLaughlin

I reached down, pulled out a seedling, and paused in wonder. God made that!

I was heading to the backyard to check on our tomato plants. Instead of lush tomatoes, I discovered maple seedlings blanketing the flowerbeds and garden. A sea of sprouts had popped up seemingly overnight, announcing their arrival with bright green leaves.

These unique seeds drop like helicopters from the maple trees in spring. As kids, we split the seeds, stuck them on our noses, and pretended to be rhinoceroses. How many uses are there for one kind of seed?

This tiny seed lost its connection to the tree, its only source of life. It fell to the earth. Dried and dead. Waiting in the dark for God’s timeline of death, resurrection, and new life.

After being buried under mulch, life broke forth. Roots stretched down to absorb nourishment and moisture from the soil. Leaves sprouted up to gain energy from the sun.

What once was dead and buried is alive and thriving.

God Brings Life from Death
Here’s a picture of a maple seedling from our backyard. Isn’t it amazing?

Are you in a time of waiting? Waiting in the dark?

Do you feel like you are buried under anxiety, grief, or sorrow?

Not sure what tomorrow will bring?

Let your roots sink deep into God’s Word. His life-giving force is inscribed in Scripture. Rest there and let the Spirit nourish you. He restores and revives with truth and grace. Let your face turn toward the Son. Receive His light. Allow His soul-warming love to enfold you.

Remember the life force God infused into this world. It’s in creation. It’s in His Word and His Son. As believers in Christ, it’s in you and me through His indwelling Spirit.

However, for plants to develop, seeds must release and die to sprout fresh life.

Wherever you are in God’s spiritual cycle of life, death, burial, resurrection, and new life, may you reach for Him, rest with Him, and hope in Him. He is cultivating you for a kingdom harvest.

The God of all life is living, breathing, active, and powerful. His purposes will be accomplished. And one day, believers will know the fullness of resurrection and eternal life in Christ.

Take heart, my friend. Though we may experience seasons of darkness and waiting until that day, He’s not finished growing you yet!

Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain. John 12:24 (NKJV)

Do you have a favorite song or Scripture about new life in Christ? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

I leave you with a few lyrics from the song, “In Christ Alone,” by Keith and Kristyn Getty.

There in the ground, His body lay
Light of the world, by darkness, slain
Then bursting forth in glorious day
Up from the grave, He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life’s first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of Hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
‘Til He returns or calls me home
Here, in the power of Christ, I’ll stand

Other posts you may enjoy:

The Unseen Hand of God

The Last Apple Blossom

When the Spring of My Heart is Overdue

20 thoughts on “God Brings New Life From Death”

1. God’s creations are amazing. The details He puts into every thing shows His love and dedication. Singing songs about His glory is one of my favorite things to do. Have a blessed week!

• I agree, Melissa. His creation contains endless wonders. I am in awe of His designs of intricacy and interdependence, precision and beauty. One step outside and I see God’s fingerprints everywhere. Singing about His glory is one of my favorite things to do, as well. God bless you with eyes to see even more of His marvels!

2. Thank you for the reminder of God’s grace and guidance from our first breath to our last breath.
    I was looking at our rose bushes today. I marvel that they were out in the cold days of winter all those months. The branches were as dead as a door nail.
    BUT, they are flourishing today and producing beautiful roses. How can that be? What a marvel! The secret comes from the fact that the roots were buried deep in the ground. They were not affected by the storms above the ground.
    O Lord, please keep me “grounded” in the Rock, Christ Jesus.

• I love this analogy, Mary Anne! It is a marvel to ponder the rose bush, apparently dead through the cold winter. Yet, producing beautiful roses in spring. I join you in prayer. Lord, let me be grounded and rooted deep in Christ. He speaks to us through His creation in endless ways. May you enjoy your lovely roses!

3. I really was blessed by this. The maple seeds were a bit troublesome because they covered the driveway, our cars and the deck. Some never made it to fertile soil but I did see the squirrels eating them off the deck. So, those seeds provided life to some animals.
    I thought of the song, “Lamb of God” by Twila Paris.

• The number of maple seeds dropped by one tree is incredible. But even this is God’s provision- accounting for hungry animals and seeds that don’t fall on good soil. When I saw that maple seed halfway opened between the roots and the sprouts, I felt like I was witnessing a miracle. “Lamb of God” is another beautiful song of our Savior. Thank you for sharing.

4. “On Christ, the solid rock, I stand;
    all other ground is sinking sand,
    all other ground is sinking sand.”

“I am astounded at God’s marvelous life-giving code written into this world.” <As am I.

• Amen Chebba! I am singing with you. On Christ the solid rock I stand; all other ground is sinking sand. We place our faith in the One who formed every molecule of the universe with a profound purpose. What a privilege to be called His own.

5. I love God’ s creation. I love looking out at the dandelions outside my bedroom window. Gaze the wonderful greeness of His nature and I’m m absolutely amazed how beautifully He paibtd His skiee, thanking God for His beautiful creation and even telling Him how much I love Him and how much I lomg to be with Him soon, wonderfully wrapped in His arms of love.

• Amen Fredrik! God’s creation displays the wonders of His greatness, beauty, glory, majesty, and love. I’m thankful you can see His wonders in the dandelions, green plants, and painted skies. One day we will be in heaven with Him. The best is yet to come!

6. Melissa, I love the song, “In Christ Alone.” Such powerful words! I pray to let God’s Word sink into my soul, to be rooted and grounded in HIs nourishment. God bless!

7. Truly beautiful and awesome how God made nature and all the ways it reproduces itself. Loved your message Melissa and thanks for sharing it

• I agree, Yvonne! God’s incredible design woven into every atom and molecule of the universe is utterly breathtaking. Imagine, one day we will see Him face to face in heaven. Thank you for your kind support.

8. Every time I go out in nature, I find myself humbled and astonished at what I discover about God’s loving and thoughtful nature. We are truly so blessed! This says it all: “When I consider the maple seed, I am astounded at God’s marvelous life-giving code written into this world.” AMEN!

• I feel the same way, Jessica. When I look at the grandeur, beauty, provision, and precision strewn throughout all elements of creation, I am in total awe of the Creator! What a mighty God we serve!

9. A hearty “Amen” Ms. Melissa. Years ago, I was looking out across my field of wheat. It was then that God spoke to me also. Looking at a single plant, from a single seed, carefully sown, watered, nurtured, and urged to grow by God, it’s head was filled with fruit. Each head contains hundred of wheat seeds. Were they to fall to the ground, and some do during harvest, they lay fallow through the summer. In late fall, something begins to happen. As the cold envelops them, they are signaled to sprout and grow roots. Soon that seed has reach tillering stage and life will soon begin anew. This cycle is repeated over and over, and unless it is circumvented by tilling and chemical application, it would continue, and endless cycle of life. Ain’t God grand?! From one seed comes thousands. “Help me be fruitful, Lord, so that I may bring forth many seeds You can sow.”

• Thank you for sharing your up-close-and-personal view of harvesting wheat, J.D.! What a blessing to work the earth that God has made and witness His miraculous cycle of life with your eyes and hands. You said it best, ain’t God grand!!! I pray for the farmers in our area when I see their fields, and for the farmers across our nation and the world. As I do, I will pray for you and your farmland, too. Yes, Lord, help me be fruitful with the seeds you have sown in and through us.

10. Beautiful. My boxes are covered with weeping elm. They provide the right environment to make them sprout a forest. Lol! I realized while reading your article that everyone on earth needs the right environment to grow into God’s image. They already have his DNA and are in waiting for the right moment when God calls them. It is exciting to think how the sprouting will come about and the forest that will follow. Thanks for the providing the picture.

• Patty, thank you for sharing your experiences and feedback. The weeping elm is a beautiful tree. It’s amazing to see how certain plants flourish in just the right environment. May we grow strong in the Lord and scatter seeds for His kingdom harvest. I agree, it’s exciting to think about the sprouting that will come in God’s timing and the forest that will follow. He is the Lord of the harvest!