A Prayer for Fathers

Sharing is caring!

By Melissa McLaughlin

Please join me lifting up a prayer for fathers, grandfathers, uncles, and father figures. Let’s remember the godly men who have cared for us. If you are a father this prayer is for you, too.

Heavenly Father,

Thank you for your steadfast love which endures forever.

Today I pray a blessing over the fathers, grandfathers, uncles, and father figures in our lives. Lord God, call each one to walk close by your side. Holy Spirit, renew their minds in the truth of your Word. Refresh their spirits as they look to you, Abba Father. Protect and bless their marriages, children, grandchildren, jobs, families, homes, and communities.

Thank you, Jesus, for laying down your life on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins. As these men recall your immeasurable sacrifice for them, may each one be drawn nearer to you.

Thank you, Lord, for these godly men who have extended your love in this world. Thank you for the faithfulness and leadership they have shown. To serve as church leaders, Sunday School teachers, prayer warriors, coaches, camp counselors, teachers, mentors, neighbors, and friends. Thank you for their integrity, honesty, and helping hands.

Father God, remind each man, that you have seen their labors. You watched and smiled every time they worked hard to provide for their families, lifted the downtrodden, changed someone’s tire, carried a heavy load, or carried a tired child. You saw and rejoiced at each earthly representation of your heavenly Father’s love.

Lord Jesus, let each man receive your forgiveness and grace where they have failed. Let them lean against you and trust you with all their hearts, knowing you went to the cross and back to win that forgiveness and pour out your mercy. Let their hearts be full as they recognize how much you love them.

Father God, as these men follow after you, anoint them to leave a legacy of faith. Let others see Christ’s truth, mercy, and love shining through. Let those who follow in their footsteps find them faithful. Faithful to their marriages and families, faithful workers on the job, and faithful servants for the kingdom of God.

Holy Spirit, inflame their hearts with an ever-deepening passion for Jesus. Let your Word burn like fire as they read. Give them glimpses of your divine glory, that they may worship you in spirit and truth with overflowing gratitude and humility. Keep their hearts pure, longing for Christ above all.

Father God, strengthen these men to live in total surrender to the Spirit. To first know their identity as a son and a child of the Most High God. To rest there, holding your Abba Father’s hand. So, when they extend their hand to help others, your Spirit flows through. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Other posts you may enjoy:

10 Scripture Blessings for Fathers

Reflections on Fathers, Spiders, Superheroes, and Jesus

Memories of Dad

18 thoughts on “A Prayer for Fathers”

1. I join you in prayer! Holy Spirit, inflame the hearts of men with an ever-deepening passion for Jesus. Give them the desire to help others, wives, children, elderly grandparents, and anyone else who wants to pray alongside others.

• Thank you for joining me in prayer for the men in our lives, Melinda. Yes, Lord, stir up the men for Christ. Let them know how much they are loved by Jesus. Soften their hearts and strengthen their hands to help others in need. In Jesus’ name. Amen

2. Father God, strengthen these men to first know their identity as a son and a child of the Most High God. To rest there, holding your Abba Father’s hand. So, when they extend their hand to help others, your Spirit flows through. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

3. What a beautiful prayer for the men in our lives, Melissa.
    I was blessed with a wonderful father who lived to age 100. He was revered by all who knew him because of his faithful walk with the Lord and his care over his family.
    Likewise, I have been blessed with a wonderful husband who has poured out his very life in sacrifice to care for me and our family.
    I cannot thank God enough for these faithful men who have been a gift from God. Thank you for your beautiful prayer for all men like them.
    I believe there are many like them in our nation and throughout the world. However, the media insists on promoting the weak minded men who are swallowing Satan’s lies.
    I pray with you that God will strengthen the men who truly represent manhood as God defined it.
    May God bless, strengthen, and encourage our men who walk humbly with God. They are the backbone of our nation.

• Mary Anne, thank you for sharing about your father and your husband. What a legacy of faith and love! You are truly blessed to have such godly men caring for you and your family. You are right. There are many Christlike men throughout our communities, nation, and the world. But the media focuses on those who have turned away from God. May God anoint the followers of Christ to rise up and stay true to Him. May we continue to pray for our fathers, husbands, sons, nephews, grandsons, neighbors, and more. May we hold up their arms in faith through our fervent prayers. May God bless your husband and all the men in your family. May they remain strong in Christ and love their families faithfully.

4. Melissa, what a beautiful and powerful prayer for fathers. This is one of my favorite lines, “Father God, as these men follow after you, anoint them to leave a legacy of faith.” Amen and Amen to that and this entire prayer. I plan to share this and keep it as a prayer for our fathers all year long! God bless!

• Thank you for the uplifting words, Karen. The men in our families need our prayers. Thank you for joining me in fervent prayer that these beloved men continue to know their identity in Christ and walk in that high calling. God bless your husband and the men in your family!

5. Thank you so much for this prayer, Melissa! It is very uplifting. I often feel like I’m more of the type that needs forgiveness and grace as opposed to the the man described in the many paragraphs of praiseworthy characteristics, so I appreciate that you took the time to pray about that. May God bless you with a wonderful Father’s Day weekend in appreciation for the dear men around you and for the times when I’m sure you have had to step up like a Father would.

• Stephen, you are welcome. You are one of the godly men who exhibit many qualities of Christ. You may not realize that, but that is how I see you. May you hold tight to your identity in Christ and know the Father’s deep love for you as His son. May God bless you and all the men in your family, with His favor, grace, and joy. Have a wonderful Father’s day!

6. Beautiful prayer Melissa. I read it several times to catch all the wonderful points you made. Thank you for creating this for us to share.

7. Amen to this! I am so grateful for the godly men in my life, both past and present! They point to the Lord with their lives and their love.

• It’s true, Jessica! Like you, Jessica, I am so thankful for the godly men in my life. They are the support system for us and our families. Best of all, they point us to our heavenly Father. God bless you and the men in your family!